Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 185 conversations

Times up?

Started by Anonymous on 17 December 2017 at 23:43

Saw my Onc Tuesday she asked me why I have never aasked about time. I'm on my 2nd cycle of Eribulin at reduced dose. Have scan on 19th Jan seems if mets not improved & I'm not tolerating treatment will be considered untreatable.

Not sure quite how to feel or cope been 21 years since a mastectomy, folled by 3 lots of chemo, 3 lots radio, tamox, faslodex, denosumab done well in reality but beinn asked if I wanted an estimate  of time left feels a bit unreal said no thanks for now.

Sorry to be a bit glum I'm working hard on my pma think I've surprised my Docs before so hope to break the mould again just thought maybe time to buy my frozen Turkey for Xmas 2018.

Bye For Now

Joan

Comments (1)

Displaying 1 comments

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    18 December 2017 at 10:42
    Edited on: 18 December 2017 at 16:37

Hello Joan,

After 21 years you've learned to live with your cancer and the many treatments that have helped keep things under control. I imagine you're a great person to know, having a tenacity of spirit, through the ups and downs you may have had along the way.

It sounds as though the appointment with your oncologist was a shock...both you and she having got through the cancer pitfalls many times before.

In a sense, she may have felt duty bound to check your expectations, with the Eribulin treatment possibly not working this time. It's knocked your confidence, understandably, just before Christmas - and yet, you've bounced back so many times...so you and she may not have discussed ' end of treatment options' before.

For the appointment post scan in January, maybe have a list of questions to ask her, if the decision is made that the cancer is untreatable - so you still have that feeling of control.

Something has kept you going through the last 21 years. The treatment may yet still work to a degree... but the oncologist had to be honest with you - so that you would continue to trust the relationship in the future.

I'm not sure if you live near one of our Maggie's Centres but you'd be welcome to drop in and talk through how the doctor's appointment made you feel. You sound a resilient person, with many strengths...but sometimes we all need a listening ear...

I'll message you to say 'hello', as it sounds like it was a tough weekend...

Warm wishes

Sue

Displaying 1 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451