Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

Stressing

Started by Anonymous on 19 October 2016 at 19:00

Hi I'm am going for my results from my first ct scan tomorrow after being diagnosed with breast cancer grade3 . I am struggling, I'm not eating, sleeping, I can't stop crying and shaking ,I cannot stop thinking the worst and its spread. I don't know how I'm going to deal with tomorrow

Comments (2)

latest | oldest

Displaying 2 comments

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    20 October 2016 at 10:17

Hello,

Wishing you good luck for today. The dread and anxiety around scan results is almost universal, and you may be scared that what you hear today will be unmanagable news.

It can help to have something to 'ground' yourself whilst in the waiting room, or when the panicky feelings hit you. A quick one I use, as it's easy to remember is using your five senses...the 5-4-3-2-1 coping mechanism.

So...Look around you...

Look around for 5 things you can see

4 things you can touch

3 things you can hear

2 things you can taste

1 thing you can smell.

Focusing on the 'hear and now' rather than the 'what if...' can hopefully help tide you over. Also think about something to reward yourself after the appointment - even if it's only a huge cup of coffee - or a magazine to read when you get home.

Hopefully you can take someone with you for moral support.

Whatever today brings, you'll know more, and a treatment plan is likely to be discussed.

I hope you'll feel able to message Robyn or myself afterwards and we can talk through the findings, and help reduce that immediate sense of being overwhelmed...

Warm wishes

Sue

• From Anonymous
    19 October 2016 at 23:00

Hi Triple3, I know there is nothing I can say that will help take away how you are feeling. But I wanted you to know that you aren't alone. Everything you are feeling is perfectly normal and it's horrible. Its so easy to think the worse and if I'm totally honest with you I go into every appointment thinking the worse BUT hoping for the best. I figure that way, if it's bad news I will be able to deal with it. Whatever the outcome tomorrow, you will find a way to cope. Try and have something to eat, and I hope you manage to get some sleep. Wishing you all the best at your appointment, hope it brings positive news. Xxx

Displaying 2 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451