Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

Has it spread?

Started by Anonymous on 26 December 2015 at 14:57

Hello, their my first visit to this site and would really appreciate anyone's advise. I was diagnosed with invasive lobular breast cancer 5 days ago and am waiting to have a MRI with contrast on Wednesday to see the extent of the spread. I have managed to try and stay positive until today. I am now terrified that it may have spread to other parts of my body as I have been getting pains under my arm well. Is this normal anxiety? Does anyone have any tips on how to cope with these thoughts? I will get the scan results in 10 days time so any help at all will be very much appreciated! Thank you in anticipation. Sarah

Comments (3)

latest | oldest

Displaying 3 comments

• From Anonymous
    28 December 2015 at 20:00

Hi Sarah, you are very welcome. I remember how hard those first few months were. Yes keeping busy is good, and definitely helps. Good Luck with your scan, I hope it goes well and that you have your treatment plan sorted soon. Wishing you all the best for the New Year! Sal xxx

• From Anonymous
    27 December 2015 at 15:54

Hi Sal, thank you so much for getting back to me- good to hear I'm not alone in having these thoughts. I've tried to keep really busy today and not think the worst and I must admit it has worked so far! Like you say I just want to get my results and know my treatment plan so I can get on with my life! Thank you again Sarah xx

• From Anonymous
    26 December 2015 at 23:22

Hi Sarah, sorry to hear you are going through this, especially at this time of the year (although there's never a good time to get this news)! I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2013, and everything you are feeling is totally normal. On one of the other sites I go on we call the scan and awaiting results....Scanxiety! Which I think describes it to perfection! The not knowing is definitely the worst part. Once you know what you are dealing with and what treatment you will need, you suddenly feel far more in control. Suddenly feeling pains in different areas, is also 'normal', I think you just become far more aware of every ache and pain! But I think the best advice I can offer you, is to take each day as it comes, and remember that Breast Cancer is treatable. It's not fun and you'll have your ups and downs, but it is doable. Wishing you all the best. Sal xx

Displaying 3 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451