Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic Benefits advice

Topic

Topic Benefits advice

Read weekly blogs from benefits advisor Tom. Post questions, share experiences around financial support in the conversations, message Tom privately or book an online ‘live chat’ session.

• 144 conversations

Of Budgets and Benefits

Started by Tombenefits   on 08 December 2017 at 21:36
Edited on 04 January 2018 at 14:32

Hello,

Your benefits correspondent is standing up and walking in time with the rolling news banner - oh no he has fallen over :-)  as he summarises the benefits changes in the November 2017 Budget:

In Part 1 of a right pair of Budget Benefit Blogs, I take a look at some real improvements that will help future claimants of Universal credit - its available here

In Part 2 , I take a look at the less exciting, rather "same old , same old" news of the annual uprating statement which affects how much your benefits will be from April 2018.

What changes this year is nothing except that higher inflation rather widens the gap between the benefits which are protected and the ones that shamefully are not. The link to that blog has as promised previously - now magically appeared  here :-)  

Please do feel free to raise any general questions, queries, share any experiences or make any comments on either or both blogs. 

You can do this just by joining this Conversation and posting your comment /query below.

But as always , if you would prefer a quiet word in private on any of the issues in either blog - or just anything vaguely benefit related - :-) - please do feel free to message me any time. 

Best wishes,

Tom  :-)

Online Centre Benefits Advisor

Picture of Tombenefits

Comments (2)

latest | oldest

Displaying 2 comments

• Picture of Tombenefits
    From Tombenefits  
    12 December 2017 at 18:53

Hello,

It can feel really hard not to be feeling like you're  making the progress you dreamed of as you gritted teeth to get through those early post diagnosis months and any surgeries or treatments that ollowed.

Back then you may have been determined to get through any immediate recovery and bebouncing back into work as soon as you had got over the side effects.

But often the enormity of what has happened since diagnosis may only start to hit once all the treatment excitement is over and you start to get a chance to draw breath.

Cancer  and its treatments often comes with psychological and physical "late effects". As indeed, can living for a long time on a low income.

I have messaged you with some  suggestions worth exploring and we can get closer to which ones might apply in your situation as we swap  further private messages. And we can also look at a live Booked benefits Session.

Hopefully there are some options there, that turn out to be worth exploring, whether as one off grants or a bit of a boost to your families regular income on a more long term basis

Best wishes,

Tom

• From Anonymous
    12 December 2017 at 14:53

Hi tom im really struggling ive not worked since my diagnosis over 2 years ago now. My partner is self employed and not really making any money. He is under so much pressure we are both very depressed. We have had very little help. I claim pip but thats all i have a 15 year old daughter and she needs things. I really dont know what to do to make things better so down with it all.

Displaying 2 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451