Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 169 conversations

how do you cope ?

Started by Anonymous on 23 August 2017 at 19:35
Edited on 23 August 2017 at 19:51

Hi - I hope you guys dont mind me posting this on here.

Comments (4)

latest | oldest

Displaying 4 comments

• From Anonymous
    03 October 2017 at 01:01

Its alot to deal with sometimes I ask my self that question sorry to hear about your diognosis I'm sort of new to 

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    04 September 2017 at 13:16
    Edited on: 04 September 2017 at 13:18

Hello...

It sounds as though there's a lot to be dealing with at the moment.

Having chemotherapy is exhausting in itself, and particularly around the 4 - 5th cycle, as you'll be possibly struggling with fatigue. Your low white cell count too, may be adding to how you're feeling. You're certainly not alone - emotionally cancer and it's treatment is not an easy ride. Many people reading this, may be identifying with how you're feeling today.

It sounds as though your dad may be finding things difficult, as you go through your treatment - and sometimes this can come across as selfishness... He may not understand fully how much this is impacting on you, and perhaps making demands that you can't keep currently. This can press guilt buttons...when you have no need to feel guilty.

There's a good book, which can help make sense of some of the emotions you're feeling - The Cancer Survivor's Companion (2013) by Dr Frances Lockhart and Lucy Atkin. I'm not sure if you're living near one of our Maggie's Centres, but you'd be welcome to come in and talk with the team about how you feel? (Once your white cell count recovers). Finding out that what you're feeling is normal, can help relieve the isolation that cancer treatment brings.

I'll message you to say 'hello' - and you can get in touch with us here anytime, to talk anything through...

Warm wishes

Sue

• From Anonymous
    04 September 2017 at 12:20

Hi, I'm new to Maggies and was diagnosed with breast cancer and am braca 1 positive and it seems there is so much to deal with mentally and physically.  I am also a carer for my 83 year old dad who finds it hard that all the attention isn't focused on him.

I have had 4 cycles of EC chemo and now my white cells are low.

There are days that I feel very emotional and down.

Do others feel like this.

Thanks for welcoming me to the group 

Dani 

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    24 August 2017 at 11:12

Hello...

Welcome to Maggie's Online centre - it's good to see you on here. I sense there may be more you'd like to say, so I'll message you, and introduce myself.

Warm wishes

Sue

Displaying 4 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451