Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

Newly diagnosed with Uveal Melanoma

Started by Anonymous on 18 November 2016 at 11:23

Hi, not sure if I am ready for this but here goes.... On a trip to optician after experiencing some flashing lights occaisionally over eyes for couple of months have now been diagnosed with eye cancer. 

I am trying to work my way to accept this whilst struggling to accept this new direction my life is heading. I am continuing to work and stay "normal" with the help of propanolol but am struggling to sleep and eat. 

My husband is fab and trying to keep me in the present while I await the plan beginning but, even though I know I am lucky to have a plan already, and support around me, I am still struggling to think of my self as a patient !! As a nurse this feels too surreal! 

Anyone else feeling like this? x

Comments (2)

latest | oldest

Displaying 2 comments

• From Anonymous
    18 November 2016 at 15:01

Thank you, a lot of this rings true. I have been told that the Melanoma Focus is a good site but to be honest I am trying to deal with things as they are and I am already on worse case scenario watch . I may look at these in time though. Thanks very much. 

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    18 November 2016 at 14:58
    Edited on: 18 November 2016 at 15:01

Hello,

I can imagine it felt strange even typing the words...being a nurse and a person with cancer...your professional feelings may be mixing with the natural shock and anxiety over your new cancer diagnosis. It's hard trying to cope with something so life changing, when as yet, you're waiting for the treatment plan...

So, on one hand you may be trying to be rational, calm, and in information seeking mode - whilst the other part of you may be in a complete 'melt down' mode. It sounds natural to have lost your appetite and disturbed sleep - the 'fight and flight' stress hormones are likely to be impacting very much at this stage.

There's a useful Maggie's Online Centre blog - 'Newly diagnosed with a rare cancer' which may help a little, and links in with another blog 'How to cope with a cancer diagnosis'. You may recognise much of what is being said there. Maggie's Cancerlinks, also has links to many sources of reliable information and support.

You've probably sourced all the support networks out on the internet, but one I'm aware of is OcuMelUK, which is UK based and has a helpline and online forums. (There's also Ocular Melanoma Foundation in USA)

What you'd really like to know is...is what you're feeling similar to other people's experiences. I would say 'yes', but I hope other online members will step in here, and offer their viewpoint...

In the meantime, if you live near one of our Maggie's Centres, you'd be welcome to come in and meet other people who have been where you are emotionally today.

Here online, we can offer support too...so I'll message you personally to introduce myself. You can get in touch with Robyn or myself anytime, if you could do with somewhere to unravel, or ask questions...

Warm wishes

Sue

Displaying 2 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451