Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Healthy eating and cancer

Topic

Healthy eating and cancer

Read informative blogs from our nutritional advisor Caroline, post queries, share experiences around nutrition in the conversations, message Caroline privately or book a live chat session.

• 298 conversations

Chemo/Food

Started by Anonymous on 19 November 2017 at 09:23

Hello there, my doctor only told me to avoid raw food but looking online says to avoid cheese aswell is that all the cheese or is there some that i be allowed?  Isthere any other food i have to watch while I'm on Chemo? 

Thanks

Comments (1)

Displaying 1 comments

• Picture of CarolineH
    From CarolineH  
    21 November 2017 at 11:14

Good morning, When people are on chemo it can deplete the immune system so it is important to avoid foods that may be contaminated and cause you to have an infection, that is why your doctor has told you to avoid raw foods as they can be contaminated and as they are not cooked to destroy any bacteria they can be a problem.

The hard cheeses like cheddar are normally fine to use but try to avoid the soft cream cheeses which have not had the same amount of processing as cheddar and other hard cheeses. It is also a good idea to avoid anything with raw egg in like mousses or home made mayonnaise.

Make sure that your food is fresh and well cooked and you should be absolutley fine. Watch sell by or use by dates and if you warm up left overs make sure that they are piping hot first them cool and eat straight away.

I hope these few simple rules help. If you would like more information or have any other nutrition questions then please do contact me as I am happy to help.

sent with my best wishes Caroline

Displaying 1 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451