Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

Food For Thought

Started by CarolineH   on 16 February 2016 at 10:23

Good morning everyone, Just a reminder that SusieQ and I are running our next Food For Thought on Wednesday 24th February at 12.30.

This month we are going to look at ways of supporting the immune system. We do know that teatment can adversley affect the immune system and also this time of the year, especially with this cold snap our immune systems may need some extra support.

We hope that you can join in our discusssion on line. You may have some questions that you would like to ask which we could cover in the session.

Best wishes Carolineh.

Picture of CarolineH

Comments (4)

latest | oldest

Displaying 4 comments

• Picture of CarolineH
    From CarolineH  
    22 February 2016 at 09:37

A pleasure Pauline, I would be interested to know how you get on. Obviously it is going to take time but I am sure that you will reap the benefits.

sent with my best wishes Caroline

• From Anonymous
    20 February 2016 at 11:44

Thank you for your advice, I am definitely going to try this. I think like you say, a lot of this is down to my anxiety, so, hopefully, when my treatments are over, I can slowly build myself up. Also, yes I was a little on the heavy side, I am 5ft 4 inches, so I would have been better at around 9 and a half stone to ten stone.....but I have gone fom 11stone 5pounds to around 9 st - my daughter said it has aged me 20years! Anyway, thank you for your time and advice, it is really appreciated and I will be trying this over the weekend and weeks to come. Pauline

• Picture of CarolineH
    From CarolineH  
    19 February 2016 at 11:04

Good morning Pauline, I have read your message with care.

I wonder is your weight stabilising now or still falling. How tall are you and would you have considered yourself a little over weight at a size 16?

Gaining weight or arresting weight loss can be difficult especially if it is linked to anxiety. It may be worth seeking out someone professional to talk to about this.

Anyway my advice is very different to that of the Mcmillan nurse so I hope that it does not cause conflict in your thinking.

Eating little and often is a good start but you must be dilligent in eating calories but also nutrients when you choose your food. In other words food that will do you good but have calories to help arrest the weight loss. I hope that make sense because when the body is well nourished this will help to support the immune system and give some strength and prevent muscle mass loss as well as fat loss.

I would suggest that you include foods regularly like avocados which can be mashed on toast or added to salads or put in a smoothie.

Nut butters like cashew nut butter and almond nut butters, again on toast or oat cakes or as part of a salad dressing.

Make good use of the healthy fats and oils like coconut oil for cooking, olive oil sprinkled on vegetables or cooked rice or as a salad dressing.

Nuts and seeds ground or whole as a snack or added to a smoothie or sprinkled on salads or crushed onto porridge or meusli.etc.

Use full fat coconut milk on cereals or into soups and casseroles as this again will add calories with good fat and make the food creamy.

I have a recipe for a buid up drink that is 400calories in a small galls which you might like to try;

Blend all of the following into a smooth drink; 1tsp tahini; 1tsp of ground almonds; 1 small avocado peeled and stoned; 4oz blueberries; 1 small apple cored; 125mls of almond or coconut milk; 1 tsp of runny honey; 2 tsps of ground flax seeds; 2 tblsps of walnut oil; 1 scoop of pea protein powder.

This will keep for 24hours in the fridge. Have glasses frequently throughout the day as well as your normal foods that you are eating. It is designed to be nutritional sound and calorific.

Let me know what you think so far Pauline and get back to me. I hope that this helps and that you understand where i am coming from.

Sent with my best wishes Caroline

• From Anonymous
    19 February 2016 at 08:18

Hi Carolineh, hope I am posting this in the right place! I was wondering if you had any advice on appetite? I was diagnosed with breast cancer in May 2015 after having had a complete hysterectomy and pneumonia. I was put on letrozole for 9 months after hysterectomy and it shrank my tumour by a third! I am still on this now after the op - my problem is appetite which may be the result of the tablets my oncologist has informed me that this can happen. I have gone from a size 16 to a size 10/12 in twelve months, I try to eat little and often, but it's a struggle. My oncologist thinks it's anxiety, probably is, but I must eat, have been too see a dietician from McMillan and she said,eat plenty of cream, cakes, sugar, fats,neverything opposite to someone trying to lose weight, but still struggle. My letrozole blocks these foods so will have no effect on the cancer. Thanks for listening Pauline

Displaying 4 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451