Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

Lumpectomy then radiotherapy

Started by Anonymous on 19 June 2016 at 16:34

I will be having a lumpectomy in two weeks followed by radiotherapy.  I have been taking letrozole to shrink the tumour and I do not need a masectomy. It has been the best result I could hope for but I am feeling very apprehensive. The last time I was in hospital was to give birth over 40 years ago. I know I am lucky and in a better situation than a lot of people but I have been feeling very tearful today and do not want to speak to any friends or family about it.

Comments (3)

latest | oldest

Displaying 3 comments

• From Anonymous
    22 June 2016 at 19:11

Thank you Sue and Bellasgirl for your kind messages and advice.  I have been busier since Sunday and have not been dwelling on the thought of the operation. I am also trying to stay positive.  I will be glad when the operation is over.

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    20 June 2016 at 14:02

Hello,

Please be kind to yourself. You've been through a great deal to get to this point - and facing a hospital admission and surgery, can make everything suddenly feel very real. You've got some wise advice from one of our online members who understands what it feels like from your perspective, which hopefully helps...

Sometimes, being told you're 'lucky' to only need a smaller amount of surgery than originally planned, does not actually help, as well meaning as friends and family may be trying to be. It doesn't feel lucky to have a cancer diagnosis...and you can still feel scared and uncertain, whatever the treatment plan...

Many people feel nervous about having an anaesthetic, and if you explain that to your anaesthetist, and the hospital staff, then hopefully they can give you extra reassurance. You may have other questions - if we here can help in any way, don't hesitate to get in touch (you can message Robyn or myself anytime)...

...and I'd love to hear how you get on...

Warm wishes

Sue

• From Anonymous
    19 June 2016 at 18:02

Hi lorival, I think given the circumstances you are entitled to have a bad day, and to feel emotional. But just wanted to say I had a lumpectomy back in 2013, and it was fine. The nurses at the hospital were lovely, as were the surgeon and anaesthetist. Everyone understands how nervous and apprehensive patients might feel and in my experience they were all very open to answering any questions I had. I was meant to be having mine as a day case, but ended up staying one night as although I was there for 7am I didn't go down to surgery until 7.30pm! It was a long long day! So one piece of advice I will offer is take a book or some magazines with you ;-) The actual surgery was fine and I felt fine afterwards, didn't really have any pain at all. I know some people have a drain to cope with afterwards, luckily I didn't. Although had that pleasure to deal with when I had my underarm nodes removed in my second surgery. Fingers crossed you get an early surgery slot, waiting around is definitely the worse part. I'm sure the next 2 weeks will be full of ups and downs, but try and keep busy. I know for me it was quiet times and nights that were the worst. Always happy to listen if you need a friendly ear :-) Wishing you all the best xxx

Displaying 3 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451