Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

4 months in..

Started by Anonymous on 17 August 2017 at 19:16

Hello I'm 39 diagnosed with cancer in April this year and I'm now halfway through gruelling chemo I am high risk due to the amount of cancer in my family my mum has had breast cancer twice and this week had a biopsy on a third lump that has shown itself after mammogram feeling a bit lost and angry how could this possibly happen at the same time ? She gets her results next Friday when Im having chemo 

Comments (2)

latest | oldest

Displaying 2 comments

• From Anonymous
    20 August 2017 at 16:30

Hello.  I can relate very much to where you are.  I'm 40, halfway through chemo for bowel cancer, and my mother-in-law was this week diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer.  Just when you most need life to give you a break, it turns round and smacks you in the face.  I don't know what the answers are for us - but just wanted to say hi, I'm so sorry, I get it, and it's totally rubbish.  Catherine xx

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    18 August 2017 at 11:42

Hello,

There is a huge amount going on for you, both physically and emotionally - and the situation with your mum's possible recurrence may feel like the straw that broke the camel's back.

Your own cancer treatment will be having an impact on you...chemotherapy is hard work, and being halfway through may mean more side effects and fatigue. It sounds a natural, visceral reaction to feel angry - cancer is impacting on the whole family.

Friday will be difficult...you'd want to be with your mum for support, whilst in reality you'll be going through chemotherapy that day.

Your mum may be having similar emotions, thinking about you, and what you're going through too. Are you both able to talk with each other about what's going on? You and she will have more of an idea what is going on after Friday, and if she needs treatment too.

I'll message you to introduce myself, as you may want to ask questions, offload more about the situation, and talk things through...

Warm wishes

Sue

Displaying 2 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451