Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic Books

Topic

Topic Books

Exchange thoughts on books you have enjoyed or found useful

• 60 conversations

Viewing 1-30 of 59 Conversations

• Some of you who are supporting your hospital treatment with healthy diet may be interested in a free download of a book called Nutritional Oncology...

• Picture of SusieQ

The street-wise  patient’s guide to surviving cancer – Karol Sikora (June 2016) This month’s book review is of one that cau...

• Picture of KD

Hi everyone, I'm a big reader and imagine that some of you are too. The big thing for me at the moment is having time to browse in bookshops to fi...

20 Comments
  • Picture of Robyn

A recent report from The University of Liverpool,  has reported  that ‘regular reading has the unique ability to empower us to emba...

• Picture of Robyn

We are often asked about suitable gifts to support people with cancer, one suggestion is something to read. I have been reading a selection of boo...

• Picture of SusieQ

This month's book review is about the recently published 'Take breast cancer off your menu' by Hilda Glickman (2015).There is going to be a plethor...

• Picture of Robyn

As a self confessed bookworm, one of my roles at Maggie’s is to keep our library list regularly updated.  Those of you who have visited ...

3 Comments
  • Picture of SusieQ

You may all have a book that lifts your mood - not cancer related, but one that makes your heart sing, and forget all the stresses and strains of e...

2 Comments
  • Hi there. Am dependent on my Kindle owing to melanoma in eye. This has been a godsend. I am currently reading "Travelling to infinity" by Jane Haw...

4 Comments
  • Picture of SusieQ

Survivorship: Living Well During and After CancerCassileth, B (2014)Survivorship, with a cancer diagnosis, begins from the day you’re told yo...

3 Comments
  • Picture of Robyn

Following on from my  recent blog I thought I would highlight another way of sharing experiences: books.  As many of you know I regularl...

• Hello, I was wondering if anyone can recommend books about inspirational women for my daughter to read while she goes through chemo?  I have ...

3 Comments
  • My wife has leiomyosarcoma, multiple metasteses througout her lungs and has recently started her second round of chemo. Anyway we have a 10 year ol...

2 Comments
  • Picture of Robyn

You may remember a while back we posted a request from Daisy Goodwin, TV producer and popular broadcaster, for suggestions of poems to include in a...

• Picture of SusieQ

Today, I thought I’d explain how impressed I have been with a small, but perceptive book entitled ‘Emotional Support Through Breast Can...

3 Comments
  • I borrowed Cancer Vixen from my local Maggies and I loved it. It is a cheerful cartoon book that documents the author's fight with breast cancer. I...

3 Comments
  • I used to be a book seller, have a number of books I can donate to Maggie's if they would be useful to you :). I am in Fife

3 Comments
  • Picture of CarolineH

Quinoa stew with squash, prunes and pomegranate. You will need; 1 small butternut squash.peeled and deseeded and cut into cubes; 2 tblsps of olive...

• Hi everyone, has anyone read chicken soup. I recently visited Maggies in London and through their book loaning system got to read this truly inspir...

1 Comment
  • Picture of Robyn

Due to a delivery/collection error this message is slightly later than planned as World book night was earlier this week (23rd April) however...

• I recently bought Hayley's book the little girl with progeria (the ageing condition ) and I could not put it down. She said she would not change an...

• i find reading positive books really helps me to stay sane x

• Well I thought I would ask if anyone has read any books they consider inspirational and also tell you about a couple I have read. Lanc eArmstrong:...

9 Comments
  • Picture of KD

I posted about this in 'Chat Around the Kitchen Table' and just realised it really should be here too. So, please check out the Bah! Brilliant Boo...

3 Comments
  • Hi, I am just completed Chemo cycle 5 and I think I am going to go through chemo induced menopause and have no idea what this might entail, has any...

6 Comments
  • Picture of ruthm

Managing Pain Before it Manages You by Margaret Caudill is now in the Fife library. It is publised by Guildford Press, 2009, 3rd Editon. It's ISBN ...

1 Comment
  • Picture of ruthm

There are 3 new books in the Fife library.   Chemo and Me is by Tani Miller. This is a book of text and pictures which focuses on hair loss....

• Picture of ruthm

Eating Pomegranates - A Memoir of Mothers, Daughters and Genes by Sarah Gabriel, published by Jonathon Cape in 2009, ISBN 9780224085328 has be...

• Picture of ruthm

Great Answers to Difficult Questions About Death - What Children Need  to Know by Linda Goldman, Published by Jessica Kingsley. 2009. ISBN 978...

• Picture of ruthm

The following books are now available for borrowing from the Fife Library: Overcoming Loss - Activities and Stories to Help Transform Children's G...

Viewing 1-30 of 59 Conversations

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451