Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic Benefits advice

Topic

Topic Benefits advice

Read weekly blogs from benefits advisor Tom. Post questions, share experiences around financial support in the conversations, message Tom privately or book an online ‘live chat’ session.

• 144 conversations

Viewing 136 Conversations

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello all, At the end of last week, a welcome change was made to help ease a real problem that was beginning to surface in some of our Centres as ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello,  This post and an a accompanying Benefits Blog - available here - is inspired by a query from a Centre member this...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, Hello, New benefit rates apply from next week. There are a few small announcements around some changes but the biggest impact in coming mo...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello all, Yesterday, The Independent newspaper reported on research by Macmillan that shows a 10% increase in the incidence of cancer amongst 16 ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello all, I'm going to be away from the Centre for the next 3 weeks, back from March 12th. By all means, do drop me a message at anytime until t...

1 Comment
  • Hi   I am trying to fill out a PIP claim form and its a mind field, I have to MacMillan or Citizens advise anywhere near me. Is there anyon...

2 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello all, All though cancer is very much a physical illness it comes with huge emotional and psychological impacts. So today's details of how th...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, In a seasonal, mid wintry, Christmassy/ Yuley Benefits Blog posted today,  I take a look at:   - the Christmas Bonus, benefits o...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, Your benefits correspondent is standing up and walking in time with the rolling news banner - oh no he has fallen over :-)  as he summ...

2 Comments
  • Hello I have just lost my mam due to cancer I was wondering if anyone can help me with some things I need to sort out e.g. debt 

2 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, Universal Credit (UC) doesn't change any of the ways help with health costs works in the four home nations of the UK. Health costs may wel...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, This month is seeing the roll out of Universal Credit big time, with the number of areas covered by Full Service UC almost  doubling b...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, Rumours of Universal Credit have for many of us had something of that "far away country, of which we know nothing" feel about them. But the...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, Reading Sue's excellent blog on Family Support and Cancer - available here  - set me musing on just one small aspect of the support we...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, For many the thought of sums causes a slight panic and traumas of double maths on a Tuesday afternoon. But in the Benefits Blog - availabl...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, While those of us in the nations outside of England may wonder at the strange practise of Prescription charges , we still share the financi...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, This blogging time, I bring you exciting news of a new partnership between Maggie's and Turn2Us and their new Response Fund. This fund is ...

• Hi everyone, I am due to start 4 weeks of Radiotherapy and I will need to rely on public transport to get me there and back each day. Is there an...

1 Comment
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello all, It's that time of year again when HMRC send you the annual tax credit renewals information. Another admin pain, especially if you are c...

• I have recently been diagnosed with throat cancer. I have no idea how to go about getting financial help. I wouldn't even know where to start. My w...

2 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello everyone, My colleague, Steph, the Benefits Advisor at Maggie's Newcastle, has just posted a really handy article -  Ten Top Tips for C...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, Part Three of my mini-series on Means Tested Benefits and Tax Credits is now available here This looks at the help available with par...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, Part Two of my mini-series on Means Tested Benefits and Tax Credits is now available here This is cooks tour of all the means tested bene...

• My sister and I both have cancer and are undergoing treatment. Our mother is 88, lives independently at home but we are both her main carers. She h...

2 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hi everyone, I have just started a new mini series looking at the current means tested benefits and tax credits. Part 1 - available here - l...

• My sister has just been diagnosed with aggressive MDS and has been told to retire on medical grounds - five and a half years before state retiremen...

2 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello  In the last of my mini-series looking at changes on the horizon - available here - I catch up with the slowly rolling out big "welfare...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello Just a suggestion for anyone thinking of making a claim for :   - Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or   - U...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, In a delayed second part of my mini series on New Years, and Mood and Benefits changes, I move on to look at the April changes ahead. &nbs...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello all,  Last Friday the Government decided to rush through some changes to the points system used in determining who is entitled to ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, New Years, are traditionally a time of review, determined resolutions, perhaps in my case atriumph of hope over expectation. But as your l...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, You may have come across our Find out more about... series of short (2 sides of paper) introductions to key benefit topics. The ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all, You know how at the end of moving, emotional, eye opening TV programmes up pops the message "If you have been affected by the issues ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, I will be away with the elves and pixies over the next week or so. The staff cats may be away but our Centre remains open for the mice to p...

• i am supporting my sister in law with terminal cancer, she has been offered a council bungalow as she cannot manage the stairs and i am trying to f...

2 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, At a recent "Talking Benefits, Financial Help and Cancer" support group session, we took a look at some of the possible grants and support ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, I have been passed details of a programme of free winter webinars on matters financial, that are being offered by a charity called St Berna...

• Picture of Robyn

Cancer can create many extra costs.  As part of our talkiing benefits series  you can join our  benefits advisor, Tom,  for a l...

1 Comment
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, This Monday - 7th November 2016 -  saw the introduction of new lower limits the  "Benefits Cap" But what is this cap and what mig...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, One of my colleagues - working in our West Londondon Centre - has passed on details of a charitable trust offering free Sim cards - includi...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, I have recently updated a Benefits Blog about two of our favourite benefits  among Benefits Advisors - Attendance Allowance (AA)&...

2 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, Gentle readers of my magic roundabout inspired blog blog on Pension Credit - available here -may feel that the system can be almo...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, Sometimes it helps to look at how that important but often underclaimed  Pension Credit works -and might apply to you -  by ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, In recent blogs focussing on older people I started by looking at how the biggest benefit of all Retirement Pension works and how there are...

• I'm currently working but ongoing side effects of surgery and radiotherapy is making it impossible to continue. Although I was diagnosed six years ...

1 Comment
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all, Many people have been understandably anxious about how the referendum vote affects their status when residing in other EU countries. That ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello all,  For those of us reaching pension age after 6th April 2016, there is a new simpler single tier State Pension to look forward to. ...

• Picture of chall01

Am I entitled to any. Working at Raigmore on full pay at the moment and told that it will be extended to as much as a year. We do not drive so ev...

2 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Elsewhere, Robyn posted a very handy note about prescription charges. I thought I'd do the equivalent of re-tweeting it here with an added comment....

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, The State Retirement Pension is the biggest single benefit - and one that is growing - in real terms - totalling £91.4 billion a year...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, Over the next couple of weeks, I will be posting some blogs about the slightly different world of benefits in "pension age".   - In P...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello,  I don't if anyone caught the programme from Channel 4's highly respected Dispatches series documentary  on April 11th ? If not ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, The new financial year started on April 5th and it's traditionally a time in "benefitsland" to introduce a number of changes to the system ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, Or I should say "Switching from Disability Living Allowance to Personal Independence Payment - some frequently asked questions" :-) Follow...

• Hi, I thought it might be useful to share a recent experience regarding some credit card debt - it may help others.  My mum was diagnos...

1 Comment
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, Well the furore over whether or not to change the Personal Independence Payment (PIP)points system is over and a shock resignation Ho...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello all, With many people who were on Disability Living Allowance (DLA) having to make the switch to Personal Independence Payment (PIP) , my ne...

3 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, Finally - after the computer swallowed my homework - I have completed my mini-series of blogs on the latest anoouncements of future benefit...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello everyone, Part of the changes during today's brief maintenance closure, was to implement plans to make the Benefits Blogs more visible one a...

4 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello fellow Centre Members, If you claim DLA, you may have noticed an item on the news last night, suggesting there may be trouble ahead :-( Dis...

1 Comment
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, Part Four of my mini-series of blogs about the Summer Budget and Autumn Statement changes to "working age" benefits is available ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, It's a new year - or will be properly after we celebrate the old New Year's Eve tomorrow here in the far west :-). I have lots of good res...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all, Technology was not with me to get my Benefits Blog about contacts, support and benefits payments should a problem arise while I am away, u...

• hi everyone, Last week I got a letter to go to a work focused interview as I am claiming ESA(contributions based). The next day I got a letter sa...

3 Comments
  • hi i been on esa 2years now and i have to keep sending in sick notes every 2 moths,and now i been awarded pip,do anyone know how long i have to kee...

2 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello everyone, A number of queries have come up or been sent in to the Talking about Benefits, Financial Help and Cancer support group, conc...

2 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello everyone,   A new Benefits Blog: Child Changes    In my third blog on the Budget changes - available here - I focus on the...

3 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello all, One of the important questions for people of working age as they move into recovery from cancer and its treatments is whether or not to...

1 Comment
  • Picture of SusieQ

Hello everyone, I have been reading a recent article on the Independent newspaper website, in their 'money' section. Entitled 'Nationwide offering...

1 Comment
  • Picture of SusieQ

Hello all, One of the major stressors when dealing with any cancer diagnosis, is wondering how to make ends meet. You may be sitting with a pile o...

2 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello all, Sometimes during a cancer journey, paid work is out of the question, whether you are going through it yourself or taking time out to su...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Good afternoon all, Just a reminder that the Find Out More About Benefits and Cancer Support Group has now moved to Tuesday evenings from 7pm to 8...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello all, Just to let you to about a new pair of Benefits blogs taking a look at the big new benefit changes announced in the Summer Budget You ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all, Attendance Allowance (AA) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA) have long been among advisor's favourites in maximising people's benefits ...

2 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all Today's Find Out More About Benefits and Cancer support  group session and next weeks will have as a theme any queries, concerns or fe...

• Hi I have read Toms brilliant blogs but I need some help with my claim for ESA. I have myelitis and have been off work since Boxing day. I have b...

6 Comments
  • Hi Im an Auntie who is worried about her 28yr old nephew who is heading to Jacksonville to received Proton Treatment , we are led to beleive Treatm...

3 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello all, I'm away next week (from the 6th to the 10th) so I won't be able to answer messages as quickly as I would like.  And there also w...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all, Since our much needed spring clean and tidy up, I'm often asked "Where have all the Benefit Blogs gone?" in tones almost as plaintive as M...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello everyone, Carer's week was in early June, but they desrve more than that :-).  In a series of  three blogs this month I look at b...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Good morning, Just a reminder that the Find Out More About Benefits and Cancer support group is in session today - and every Friday - from 12.00p ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, In this month of Carer's Week - as highlighted by Sue in her blog here -  my benefits blog is focussing on Benefits and Carers.  ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, I'm afraid I'm away today so regret that today's session of the Find Out More About Benefits and Cancer Group is not happening. But we're ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello everyone, Just a reminder of today's Find Out More About Benefits and Cancer support group session at 12.00pm. The idea of this group is a ...

• I have been working since being diagnosed with prostate cancer with spread to the hips and lower back for almost 2 years now. Things are getting di...

2 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, A recent critical Work and Pensions Select Committee report in Parliament and a Channel 4 Dispatches progremme  has triggered a pair o...

1 Comment
  • I am not sure that I am in the right place for this question but hopefully you can point me in the right direction. I have neck/throat cancer and ...

2 Comments
  • HELLO I CAME OFF JSA AND TOOK WORK FOR A FEW DAYS THINKING IT WOULD BE OK. OVER THE FEW DAYS I WAS THERE I STARTING GETTING RECURRING PROBLEMS WITH...

2 Comments
  • Hi i have been informed that my employer is to offer me ill health retirement.I will receive a pension plus a lump sum.  Would i be entitled ...

3 Comments
  • I am requesting information about the above concerns please. Would doubly value your help,direction, advIceand guidance as I have not worked for a ...

1 Comment
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all, Just a quick hello in passing. I'm off this week so will be replying to all messages on my return. This also means no Find Out More Abou...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Good morning all, Back from a brief busman's holiday and mini-tour. One way to understand Universal Credit is to run a training course on it :-) ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all, I'm finishing off my trio of blogs looking at the differences where you live can make as welfare reform rolls out by taking a look at the ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all, While benefits is mostly a UK wide thing, there are some growing differences that mean that what you claim can be affected by where you li...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all, I attended an interesting stakeholders event with Capita yesterday, one of the two companies assessing people for Personal Independence Pa...

• hi there, can u advise me whether or not i will get any 'back to work' money? i am on esa at the moment and am thinking of going back in to full-ti...

3 Comments
  • can anyone help me with regards to benefits or anything my dad will be entitled to, he works full time but is off on the sick just now his work pay...

2 Comments
  • Hi As a pensioner I am wondering what Benefits are available?  Having read through the Benefits Bloge I am unsure which would apply to Pensio...

6 Comments
  • Hi there, I'm sorry as I am sure this has been asked so many times before... my mum has terminal cancer and we are trying to work out what benefit...

1 Comment
  • i am a pensioner and have cancer,i only recieve sta.te pension i need to have someone with me when i travel through years of aggrophobia.it is cost...

2 Comments
  • my wife has just been diagnosed with cancer for the third time in her life is she entitled to claim p.i.p.

2 Comments
  • Hello friends I am new to the Maggies Online community so hello to everyone. I am really concerned by the national scandal of the Personal indep...

6 Comments
  • Hi. I'm new to the group. My 72 year old mum was diagnosed in February with NSC lung cancer which has metastisised to her bones and liver. ...

2 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all   I am often asked “What benefits can I get while off from work?” .    A few blogs back I wrote a pair of blo...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all, In a blog that I have posted today here, I thought in this springtime after April benefit changes, it might be a good time to take a ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello all, Today is the day from which annual increases in pensions and benefits start to apply. Your next payment - be it fortnightly or four wee...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all, After much looking at what has changed I thought it could be handy to go back to basics and take a fresh look at the main benefits for peo...

1 Comment
  • Hi   I was diagnosed with ME 2 years ago but still work..I tried to claim DLA but was told I was not bad enough  ( ME is sporadic but o...

2 Comments
  • Picture of lizzierosy

Dear all,   I have to go for a work focused interview tomorrow and could do with some advice on how to prepare/what to expect as I normally ...

3 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all, The unpopularly named bedroom tax is having a big impact for people living in council or housing association properties, with up to 46% of...

4 Comments
  • My dad is in hospital with Primary CNS Lymphoma. From the moment he first went to the doctors to now is only 8 weeks. He is now an inpatient at the...

3 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all, The end of October saw some important benefit changes if not as dramatic as the DWP were planning. In the first of two blogs which you ca...

• I have just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I may need to have radiotherapy which is 5 days a week for 4 weeks.  I live about 18 miles fr...

1 Comment
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all, A lot of my blogging virtual ink has been around the whirlwind of welfare reform affecting those of "working age". However, cancer is oft...

• I'm 43 married mum of 1 & I was diagnosed with endometriosis cancer in 2002, which I had a hysterectomy followed by Radiotherapy and radioactiv...

1 Comment
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all, A lot of my blogging virtual ink has been around the whirlwind of welfare reform affecting those of "working age". However, cancer is oft...

• Hi, My mum is 57 and was diagnosed with terminal cancer in mid Sep. The current prognosis is 3 - 6 months. Her work policy is 30 days full pa...

2 Comments
  • Hello I was diagnosed in April and am currently half-way through chemotherapy post surgery (thru to end Nov), and this will be followed by radioth...

2 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

With chops, cuts and changes and politicians concerned that it is all "getting out of control", Housing Benefit is experiencing penty of changes. ...

• Hi I currently get DLA since having an Ivor Lewis operation in August 2012 due to difficulty with my personal care and mobility issues, I will be ...

2 Comments
  • Hi I am trying to purchase Life insurance for my husband who has Prostate Cancer.  He did have a policy which has now lapsed.  He is 69 ...

3 Comments
  •   Hi everyone, We received some devastating news last week.  My mum was diagnosed with lung cancer and to make matters worse it has...

3 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all, Heres a place to post any comments or queries about the benefit caps. The one which is in the news of late is the cap at median earnings....

• I have 2 questions that I would like to ask please 1- Should I get free dental care whilst having chemo/radiotherapy? 2- in readiness for the...

5 Comments
  • Hi I am a single mum who was diagnosed with breast cancer in April.  My company are being very good and are paying me full pay for the first 6...

1 Comment
  • Hi I'm working but have just been sighed off what benefits can I get need help I'm a single mum. Thanks 

4 Comments
  • Picture of Robyn

The blogs in our benefits advice section  were written by our online benefits advisor Jude who sadly died recently. They contain a wealth of i...

3 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all, Over the next 3 weeks I am blogging about the new Personal independence Payment starting here with an introduction to what it is, where it...

• I am a retired gynae/oncolgy nurse(early retirement due to prolapsed l4 +l5 and sciatica on ct scan diagnosis.. I was diagnosed with endometrial c...

3 Comments
  • We're not quite struggling but I'd love to get the house fixed up while my wife goes through chemo. I suspect a loan from the bank would not be loo...

10 Comments
  • HI how does one go about  claiming DLA or the new equivalent ? I have worked all my life and never claimed any benefits so feel completely clu...

1 Comment
  • Hi there  Does anyone have any advise on what is available to my parents as they seem to be under the impression as they are now pensioners t...

2 Comments
  • I was made redundant in August 2011 and took early retirement as part of the package. I had just gone back to work on a temporary contract when I w...

1 Comment
  • Picture of Tombenefits

This week is the last week for people to start a new claim for disability Disability Living Allowance. So if you have been thinking about claiming...

• Hello all, I am a self employed person who has has bowel cancer. At the moment my boyfriend and friends are busy trying to keep my buisiness going...

4 Comments
  • im wondering if anyone can help me with my mums has terminal cancer and we have had to contact with any macmillion nurses do they ever come and see...

2 Comments

Viewing 136 Conversations

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451