Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Benefits advice

Topic

Benefits advice

Read weekly blogs from benefits advisor Tom. Post questions, share experiences around financial support in the conversations, message Tom privately or book an online ‘live chat’ session.

• 116 conversations

Viewing 1-30 of 110 Conversations

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello  In the last of my mini-series looking at changes on the horizon - available here - I catch up with the slowly rolling out big "welfare...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello Just a suggestion for anyone thinking of making a claim for :   - Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or   - U...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, In a delayed second part of my mini series on New Years, and Mood and Benefits changes, I move on to look at the April changes ahead. &nbs...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello all,  Last Friday the Government decided to rush through some changes to the points system used in determining who is entitled to ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, New Years, are traditionally a time of review, determined resolutions, perhaps in my case atriumph of hope over expectation. But as your l...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, You may have come across our Find out more about... series of short (2 sides of paper) introductions to key benefit topics. The ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all, You know how at the end of moving, emotional, eye opening TV programmes up pops the message "If you have been affected by the issues ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, I will be away with the elves and pixies over the next week or so. The staff cats may be away but our Centre remains open for the mice to p...

• i am supporting my sister in law with terminal cancer, she has been offered a council bungalow as she cannot manage the stairs and i am trying to f...

2 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, At a recent "Talking Benefits, Financial Help and Cancer" support group session, we took a look at some of the possible grants and support ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, I have been passed details of a programme of free winter webinars on matters financial, that are being offered by a charity called St Berna...

• Picture of Robyn

Cancer can create many extra costs.  As part of our talkiing benefits series  you can join our  benefits advisor, Tom,  for a l...

1 Comment
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, This Monday - 7th November 2016 -  saw the introduction of new lower limits the  "Benefits Cap" But what is this cap and what mig...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, One of my colleagues - working in our West Londondon Centre - has passed on details of a charitable trust offering free Sim cards - includi...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, I have recently updated a Benefits Blog about two of our favourite benefits  among Benefits Advisors - Attendance Allowance (AA)&...

2 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, Gentle readers of my magic roundabout inspired blog blog on Pension Credit - available here -may feel that the system can be almo...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, Sometimes it helps to look at how that important but often underclaimed  Pension Credit works -and might apply to you -  by ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, In recent blogs focussing on older people I started by looking at how the biggest benefit of all Retirement Pension works and how there are...

• I'm currently working but ongoing side effects of surgery and radiotherapy is making it impossible to continue. Although I was diagnosed six years ...

1 Comment
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hi all, Many people have been understandably anxious about how the referendum vote affects their status when residing in other EU countries. That ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello all,  For those of us reaching pension age after 6th April 2016, there is a new simpler single tier State Pension to look forward to. ...

• Picture of chall01

Am I entitled to any. Working at Raigmore on full pay at the moment and told that it will be extended to as much as a year. We do not drive so ev...

2 Comments
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Elsewhere, Robyn posted a very handy note about prescription charges. I thought I'd do the equivalent of re-tweeting it here with an added comment....

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, The State Retirement Pension is the biggest single benefit - and one that is growing - in real terms - totalling £91.4 billion a year...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, Over the next couple of weeks, I will be posting some blogs about the slightly different world of benefits in "pension age".   - In P...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello,  I don't if anyone caught the programme from Channel 4's highly respected Dispatches series documentary  on April 11th ? If not ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, The new financial year started on April 5th and it's traditionally a time in "benefitsland" to introduce a number of changes to the system ...

• Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, Or I should say "Switching from Disability Living Allowance to Personal Independence Payment - some frequently asked questions" :-) Follow...

• Hi, I thought it might be useful to share a recent experience regarding some credit card debt - it may help others.  My mum was diagnos...

1 Comment
  • Picture of Tombenefits

Hello, Well the furore over whether or not to change the Personal Independence Payment (PIP)points system is over and a shock resignation Ho...

Viewing 1-30 of 110 Conversations

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451